Friday, July 15, 2005

My X-Box BROKE!

Angry. So very angry. Wednesday Evening, I decided to play a little Halo 2 online, with the snazzy new map pack I purchased last week. I put my Halo 2 disk in and got the dreaded "Dirty Disk Error", meaning my X-box didn't recognize it as an X-box game.
"Hmmm, that's odd," I thought, not realizing the impending doom that would soon settle upon me. I ejected the disk, then reinserted it. Same message.
"Oh, you better not do this to me, kind Microsoft machine..."
I tried again. Same result.
"YOU FILTHY PIECE OF KAKAPOOPIE....!!"
I put in another X-box game. Same message. I put in a DVD. Same message. I immediately run to the internet. From extensive searching, I have found that this periodically happens to people's boxes, due to cheap components in the system. There are now a set of steps I must follow to attempt to repair it.

Step 1: kick it.
Step 2: Put in a cd/dvd cleaner disk and run it.
Step 3: If that doesn't work, kick again.
Step 4: Unplug and take apart machine, dismantling all until I reach the DVD drive.
Step 5: Take apart the DVD drive, and clean the lens and mirror of the laser manually.
Step 6: Pray.
Step 7: reassemble, test.
Step 8: If it still doesn't work, angrily storm around house in a funk, then purchase a replacement laser.
Step 9: Disassemble once again, and replace laser (this has steps involving removing solder, so I am probably screwed at this point, not having any soldering experience).
Step 10: reassemble, test again, and hopefully everything will be wonderful. If not, go to step 11.
Step 11: Get even ANGRIER.

You see, there is a lot of pitfalls in my plan. If I can avoid them, that will be super. I am mildly interested in seeing the interior of my box. But the fact that it is busted makes the experience less enjoyable. Of course, I suppose if it wasn't broken, I wouldn't be opening it up in the first place.

By the way, for anyone reading that has encountered serious X-Box problems, I found an excellent site that explains all do-it-yourself repairs, as well as sells components. Very philanthropic, since they could easily sell this kind of good info. it is:

www.llamma.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home